• Japanese Studies (Minor)

  • Overview

    The Japanese Studies minor is offered through the Schools of Public Engagement.

    The minor in Japanese Studies provides a firm grounding in Japanese language and also an in-depth study of Japanese culture through courses in a wide range of fields. Course areas include literature, film and media, popular culture, history, and politics. The knowledge and skills gained from this minor can complement any program of study, deepening students' global competencies and cross-cultural perspectives and their awareness of a range of important cultural and social issues.

    Course availability may vary from semester to semester. Some courses may be in development and offered at a later time. Students seeking to pursue alternative coursework to fulfill the minor should consult with their advisors.


    Subject AreaSample CoursesCredits
    Core RequirementsNJPN 2101 Japanese Intermediate 1
    NJPN 2102 Japanese Intermediate 2
    NJPN 2731 Conversational Japanese
    NJPN 3017 Japanese Film & Media
    NJPN 3018 Japanese Food
    Additional CoursesNJPN 1101 Japanese Introductory 1 or NJPN 1003 Japanese Intensive 1
    NJPN 1102 Japanese Introductory 2 or NJPN 1004 Japanese Intensive 2

    Eighteen credits are needed for the minor; at least 12 credits of the 18 must be earned by taking courses in the NJPN or NFLN subject codes at the 2000 level or higher.

    Learning Outcomes

    A student who has completed this minor should be able to demonstrate:

    • Effective spoken and listening communicative skills in Japanese at the intermediate level or above in the interpersonal, interpretative, and presentational modes
    • Intermediate-level or greater proficiency in reading and writing hiragana, katakana, and at least 220 kanji
    • A basic understanding of pre-modern and modern Japanese culture, civilization, politics, literature, history, and society
    • Knowledge of similarities and differences between the student's own culture and cultures of the Japanese-speaking world


    Students who participate in a study abroad program with partner institutions may apply some of their coursework toward requirements for the minor in Japanese Studies.

    Students must earn a grade of C or higher in all courses taken for the minor.

    For questions regarding this minor's curriculum, including requests for course substitutions, please contact Marie-Christine Massé, coordinator of Japanese Studies, at massem@newschool.edu or 212.229.5676.

    How to Declare or Change a Minor

    General guidelines for declaring a minor are available here. Current students can declare or change a minor by logging in to my.newschool.edu, clicking on the Academics tab, and then clicking on the link to Major/Minor Declarations.

  • Take the Next Step

    Contact your Student Success advisor to discuss how a minor will fit with your degree requirements.

    Declare or change a minor on my.newschool.edu in the Academics tab. Note that some minors require an application.

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.