• Academic Petitions and Policies

  • The Office of Academic Affairs coordinates student petitions related to several academic processes. Students can use: 

    • General Student Petition Form to request changes of status (PhDS/PhDC, MA/MS)changes of department, and extensions of time to complete degree requirements
    • Transfer of Credit Petition to request transfer credits from previous or non-New School graduate work. Contact your NSSR student advisor for the petition.
    • Starfish to apply for leaves of absence and withdrawals

    Questions about academic grievance procedures appear below. All NSSR policies and procedures can be found in the NSSR catalog (PDF) and in your department handbook.  

    Academic Standing and Progress

    It is a student's responsibility to know and fulfill departmental requirements for study at The New School for Social Research. Regular review of a graduate student’s progress toward a degree is important. An academic review is conducted semiannually, before each semester’s registration period (in April and November). The review is an opportunity for students to receive direct faculty feedback about their academic performance. The academic review determines a student’s eligibility (a) to continue in a program of study and (b) to receive or continue to receive financial aid. Students whose academic performance or progress is deemed unsatisfactory may be placed on probation (see Academic Standing and Progress in the NSSR catalog (PDF)). See the Registrar's page for more information about grades (including the grade appeal policy and incomplete policy) and requirements for maintaining good academic standing.

    Graduate students at The New School for Social Research are placed on probation and are subject to dismissal if they fail to complete the requirements for a degree within the designated time-to-degree limits (see "Degree Completion Term Limits and Extensions of Time" in the NSSR catalog (PDF). Students placed on probation or notified of dismissal can file an appeal with the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs. The Academic Dismissal Appeal process is described in the NSSR catalog (PDF) and on the registrar's website. The contact for NSSR students is:

    Office of Academic Affairs
    The New School for Social Research
    6 East 16th Street, room 1007
    New York, NY 10003

    Students can expect to hear the results of an appeal within two to four weeks of its submission.

    Students can use DegreeWorks to explore their options and to monitor progress toward their degrees. DegreeWorks displays all the courses required for the degree programs in which a student is enrolled and all the classes a student has successfully completed. Students can find out more about how to use this tool in the DegreeWorks tutorial. DegreeWorks is available on the Academics tab of MyNewSchool. Students can use the University Course Catalog to learn about the courses they must take and to see courses offered by other schools of The New School. The course catalog links to the schedule of classes, where students can find the days and times on which classes are offered.

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.