Recent Updates: The university is welcoming back visitors to campus. More information can be found on our COVID-19 Community Guide.

  • Take the Next Step

  • Contact Us

    Admission Contact
    Gabriela Garcia Juarez 
    79 Fifth Avenue, 5th floor
    New York, NY 10011
    Phone: 212.229.5600 x1666 
    Fax: 212.627.2695

    Program Contact
    Public and Urban Policy PhD
    72 Fifth Avenue, room 707
    New York, NY 10011
    12.229.5400 x1503

  • Curriculum

    The Doctor of Philosophy degree in Public and Urban Policy is conferred for completion of 60 graduate credits and approval of a written dissertation that advances knowledge in the field. The 60 credits normally consist of up to 30 credits earned in the student's master's degree program and at least 30 credits taken in residence in the PhD program.

    Students must take six core courses, two research methods courses, and the Dissertation Seminar. A full-time graduate student takes at least nine credits (three courses) each semester. You can study part-time but must take a minimum of six credits (two courses) per semester to remain in good standing.

    Students should refer to the official New School Academic Catalog to confirm degree completion requirements and should review their academic progress regularly with their faculty advisors.

    Core CoursesCredits
    NPUP 7005 Political Economy and Public Policy Analysis I3
    NPUP 7000 Political Economy and Public Policy Analysis II 3
    NPUP 7003 Doctoral Research Seminar3
    NPUP 7010 Critical Praxis 13
    NPUP 7011 Critical Praxis 23
    Required Courses
    Two research methods courses6
    Four electives12
    Credits earned in the student’s master’s degree program30

    Research Methods Courses

    Students must complete one course in quantitative methods and one in qualitative methods, chosen in consultation with their advisor.


    Students complete any four doctoral-level courses approved by the their advisor. Electives can include courses offered by other divisions of the university.

    Comprehensive Examination

    The comprehensive exam is taken after successful completion of coursework. It consists of a qualifying paper and a weekend take-home qualifying exam. The qualifying paper is a critical survey of the literature on a specific public policy issue, which must be approved by the student's advisor. The qualifying exam consists of questions that are tailored to each student and are designed to show the student's understanding of the essential theoretical, institutional, and empirical content covered in the program's core courses. Students who pass the comprehensive exam earn the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree and are eligible to proceed to the dissertation stage.

    Students must complete 60 credits before they are eligible to take the qualifying examination.


    A dissertation proposal is developed in consultation with the student's faculty advisor and dissertation committee. A Public and Urban Policy doctoral dissertation can take the form of either a single book-length manuscript or a set of three papers (normally 40-70 pages each, including figures, tables, endnotes, and references). In either format, the dissertation must present original material that advances knowledge about important public policy problems.

    Transfer Credits

    Of the 60 credits required for the PhD, a maximum of 30 can be transferred from other graduate schools, provided the courses are deemed relevant to the Milano Public and Urban Policy program. At least 30 credits (10 courses) must be taken in residence. Students who wish to transfer credits earned at a graduate school outside of the United States must provide a course-by-course evaluation of their international transcripts prepared by a NACES-approved evaluation service. The evaluation must be received before courses can be reviewed for transfer of credits.

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.