• International Affairs (MA) 2

    International Affairs (MA)

  • Take the Next Step

  • Contact Us

    Admission Contact
    Merida Escandon Gasbarro
    72 Fifth Avenue, 1st floor
    New York, NY 10011

    Program Contact
    International Affairs Program
    72 Fifth Avenue, 7th floor (Map)
    New York, NY 10011
    Phone: 212.206.3524
    Fax: 212.924.1292

  • The Master of Arts (MA) is the flagship graduate degree of the Studley Graduate Programs in International Affairs. Designed for students exploring career paths in international affairs, the program integrates theoretical foundations, methods, policy, and a thematic concentration. The curriculum emphasizes historical roots of contemporary social and political issues, plural theoretical frameworks to explain global trends, and experiential learning to develop and refine practical professional skills.

    • Degree Master of Arts (MA)
    • Credits 42
    • Format Full-time or part-time, on campus or hybrid
    • Duration 2 years (full-time)
    • Start Term Fall or spring

    Career-Relevant Concentrations

    The concentrations in the International Affairs MA are more than collections of courses. They are areas in which students can link theory, social research, and practice in building careers as scholars or practitioners in international affairs. Students fulfill a concentration by taking a foundation course and three electives, chosen from a range of options. The concentrations are also the locus for guest lectures, workshops, and events, and the creation of working groups around topics of particular student interest.

    Students choose from five concentrations:

    • Cities and Social Justice
    • Conflict and Security
    • Development and Global Justice
    • Governance and Rights
    • Media and Culture

    Read more about concentrations


    The MA curriculum combines core courses with a wide range of electives and opportunities for social research and hands-on experience. The degree requirements can be completed either entirely on our campus in New York City or through the new hybrid format, which allows you to complete the first 18 credits of the degree online and the last 18 credits of coursework and the 6-credit capstone project in person.

    Required Courses


    NINT 5001 Global Flows3
    NINT 5000 Theories, Histories, and Practices of Development3
    Economics Requirement (choose one)3
    Research Methods Requirement (choose one)3
    Four concentration courses (one foundation course plus three electives)12
    Four elective courses, including courses connected with the International Field Program or United Nations Summer Study12
    Capstone Project6

    Required Courses

    All MA students take two required core courses that provide a critical and historical introduction to key concepts in international affairs. Global Flows is an analysis of globalization from the colonial era through the present. Theories, Histories, and Practices of Development examines basic concepts of development and introduces students to major issues in contemporary development thought and practice. Students are required to take Global Flows and fulfill the International Affairs economics requirement before they take Theories, Histories, and Practices of Development.  

    MA students fulfill the economics requirement by taking either the introductory or the intensive sections of Economics in International Affairs. Students with extensive background in economics may get approval to fulfill the requirement by taking advanced economics classes in International Affairs or elsewhere at The New School.

    Research Methods Requirement

    MA students fulfill their research methods requirement by taking one of three courses:

    • Research Design and Data Collection, which provides a general introduction to methodological theory, research design, and data collection strategies, with an emphasis on qualitative interviews and surveys, analyzed using both qualitative and quantitative methods
    • Qualitative Research Methods, a workshop-based research design seminar that investigates the relationship between topics of inquiry, theory, and qualitative research methods
    • Quantitative Methods, which introduces students to basic statistical techniques and the use of data analysis software

    Students with prior training in research methods may take advanced courses, subject to advisor approval.

    International Field Program and UN Summer Study

    Students can earn up to six credits toward their MA through these field-based programs:

    • The International Field Program provides field experience with a local or international organization abroad under academic supervision. Past sites include Cuba, India, Kosovo, China, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, Argentina, Hong Kong, Colombia, Brazil, Lebanon, Turkey, and Nepal. New sites are frequently developed.
    • The United Nations Summer Study offers an intensive curriculum on the role and challenges of the UN system with an option to complete a practicum experience with a UN agency. This unique program benefits from critical debates with UN staff, delegates, and civil society critics.


    International Affairs offers a selection of elective courses that range from general surveys to advanced research seminars to practice-oriented courses. MA students can take electives offered by International Affairs or by other New School graduate programs in fields such as design, social research, media, and many others. 

    Capstone Project

    All MA students must complete a capstone project, either a thesis or the practicum in international affairs. Students choose their final project in consultation with their advisor after they have completed 18 credits.

    Graduate Minors

    You can also use your elective courses to complete one of the university's graduate minors, which provide a structured, accessible way to complement your primary course of study with fresh ways of thinking. Your graduate minor is officially recorded on your transcript.

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.