The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is an integral part of the university's efforts to promote the well-being of our students. The New School offers a health insurance plan to all degree (including online-only), visiting, mobility
(study abroad), maintenance-of-status, Lang and Parsons consortium, ESL + certificate, graduate credit certificate, and graduate and undergraduate degree non-matriculating students. Students enrolling through the Continuing and Professional Education
program are not eligible and are not charged for student health insurance.
All eligible students are automatically billed for the SHIP each semester upon registration. Students must choose to enroll in the plan or request a waiver by the posted deadline. The enrollment/waiver deadline for the fall 2023 semester is September 11, 2023.
The enrollment and waiver forms for the 2023-2024 academic year will be available
at University Health Plans beginning May 4, 2023. Students who do not complete the online enrollment or waiver form by September 11 will be automatically enrolled in the plan
during the week of September 18–22 and will be responsible for paying the health insurance fee. Students need to submit a waiver form only once every academic year. Waiver forms submitted in the fall 2023 semester will be applied to both fall 2023
and spring 2024.
How It Works
- All students are required to have health insurance that provides comprehensive coverage where they are located.
- Students' insurance plans do not need to be U.S.-based or ACA-compliant in order for them to be eligible to waive the SHIP.
- All students are automatically charged for student health insurance upon registration.
- Students who want coverage under the SHIP must submit an enrollment form.
- Students with their own health insurance coverage must submit a waiver form.
- Students who do not take any action before the enrollment/waiver deadline will be automatically enrolled in the SHIP after the deadline has passed and will be responsible for payment of the health insurance fee.
2023-2024 Health Insurance Plan
- The annual premium will be posted once the plan is approved by NY State. The premium is billed in two installments:
- Fall 2023 (coverage period August 20, 2023, to January 14, 2024)
- Spring 2024 (coverage period January 15 to August 19, 2024)
- The student health insurance provider is UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. The student health insurance provider administers the insurance plan and pays the claims.
- The plan is a UnitedHealthcare Student Resources Choice Plus PPO Plan.
- University Health Plans is the insurance broker. The insurance broker handles the enrollment and waiver processes, including dependent and OPT enrollment.
- The Plan Brochures will be available once the plan has been approved by NY State.
2022-2023 Health Insurance Plan
- The annual premium is $4,116.00, billed in two installments:
- Fall 2022 coverage is $1,668.95 (coverage period August 20, 2022, to January 14, 2023)
- Spring 2023 coverage is $2,447.05 (coverage period January 15 to August 19, 2023)
- The student health insurance provider is UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. The Plan Brochure and Plan Summary provide an overview of the benefits and coverage of the plan. The Plan Certificate provides more detailed information about the benefits.
- The enrollment/waiver deadlines for the 2022–2023 school year have passed. Waiver requests are no longer being accepted. Students who experience qualifying events (such as loss of coverage) can ask to enroll for a prorated premium by contacting
University Health Plans within 30 days of losing coverage.